How To Apply For A Visa: A visa simply indicates that your application has been reviewed at a South African embassy, mission or consulate and that the consular officer has determined that you are eligible to enter the country for a specific purpose.
Requirements for visitor visas differ from country to country (click here to see which countries are currently exempt) and requirements are subject to change.
As each application is treated as an individual case, you should check with your nearest South African mission or consulate abroad or any Department of the Interior office to see whether or not you should apply for a visa.
How to Apply for Visa
- Visit the Department of Home Affairs website for more information.
- Apply for a visa or permit online on the VFS Website. Follow the steps below to apply for a visa or permit at the Centre:
- You will need to fill out the correct online form.
- Pay the mandatory fee of R1350 in order to schedule an appointment after the application form filling.
- Pay the relevant fees online. No payments will be collected in cash at the Visa Facilitation Centre.
- Check all required documents for the application mentioned below.
- On the day of your appointment, arrive 15 minutes early at the Visa Facilitation Centre. Bring your appointment letter, printed online application form, proof of payment and supporting documents, along with a valid passport or travel document.
- You will need to arrange for supporting documents for your visa or permit application. If you do not know which supporting documents to provide, the Visa Types page will help you to find guidance for your visa category.
- Enrol your fingerprints and photograph at the Visa Facilitation Centre.
- Collect your documents in person at the Visa Facilitation Centre or have a representative collect the decision on your behalf.
Documents required to apply for a visa
- A passport or travel document valid for no less than 30 days after the expiry of your intended visit
- Your passport must have at least TWO unused pages for entry/departure endorsements
- A completed Form BI-84 (application for a visa)
- Payment of the prescribed fee
- A yellow-fever vaccination certificate (if required)
- Statement and/or documentation confirming the purpose and duration of your visit
- Two colour passport photographs
- A return or onward ticket if you are travelling by air
- If you have children (minors) travelling with you or joining in South Africa, you will need to provide the following additional documents
- Proof of guardianship or custody or
- Consent from the guardian in the case of an unaccompanied minor
- Proof of financial means to pay for your living expenses while in South Africa in the form of:
- Bank statements
- Salary advances
- Undertakings by the host(s) in South Africa
- Medical cover or
- Cash available (including credit cards and travellers’ cheques)
SEE ALSO >> How to Get a Job in Canada from Nigeria